BANITA MCCARN, MEd
Banita joined SUHI in the summer of 2019 as a Program Manager for the Evaluation Technical Assistance Strategy. Banita contributes on a portfolio of evaluation initiatives centered on health disparities and innovative community health interventions. Current content areas include a diabetes prevention initiative and capacity building.
Prior to her role at SUHI, Banita served as the Senior Research & Evaluation Manager for the Research, Evaluation and Data Services (REDS) Team at AIDS Foundation of Chicago where she led a team of research and evaluation specialists, assistants and data analysts on a portfolio of projects focused on HIV prevention, permanent supportive housing initiatives and healthcare utilization. Banita has extensive experience with both qualitative and quantitative analysis and has managed large research teams conducting field work.
Prior to joining AFC, she assisted with the design and creation of an electronic sub-network of pediatric primary care practices for conducting epidemiological research using electronic health records at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
MEd, Educational Psychology, University of Manchester, UK
BA, Literature, Ozark Christian College
- Fiks, A. G., Ross, M. E., Mayne, S. L., Song, L., Liu, W., McCarn, B., ... & Wasserman, R. (2016). Preschool ADHD diagnosis and stimulant use before and after the 2011 AAP Practice Guideline. Pediatrics, 138(6), e20162025. doi:10.1542/peds.2016-2025
- Fiks, A. G., DuRivage, N., Mayne, S. L., Finch, S., Ross, M. E., McCarn, B., ... & Staton, E. W. (2016). Adoption of a Portal for the Primary Care Management of Pediatric Asthma: A Mixed-Methods Implementation Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(6), e172. doi:10.2196/jmir.5610
- Mayne, S. L., Ross, M. E., Song, L., McCarn, B., Steffes, J., Liu, W., ... & Leslie, L. K. (2016). Variations in Mental Health Diagnosis and Prescribing Across Pediatric Primary Care Practices. Pediatrics, 137(5), e20152974. doi:10.1542/peds.2015-2974
- Fiks, A. G., Mayne, S. L., Song, L., Steffes, J., Liu, W., McCarn, B., ... & Ross, M. E. (2015). Changing patterns of alpha agonist medication use in children and adolescents 2009–2011. Journal of child and adolescent psychopharmacology, 25(4), 362-367. doi:10.1089/cap.2014.0122
Select Peer-Reviewed Conference Presentations
- McCarn, B. Soberanis, G. Implementation of Salud y Orgullo Mexicano: Engaging and Retaining Mexican Men Who Have Sex With Men in HIV Medical Care. Minority Health Conference. Chicago, IL. February 2018. (Oral Presentation)
- McCarn, B., Peters, A., Lemos, D., Calvert, B., Toepfer, P. Outcome Evaluation of the Better Health through Housing Pilot Demonstration Project. HIV Housing Summit. Washington, DC. August 2018. (Poster)
- McCarn, B. Housing for High Hospital Utilization Users who are Homeless: Findings from the Better Health through Housing Demonstration Project American Public Health Association Annual Meeting and Expo. San Diego, CA. November 2018. (Oral Presentation)
- McCarn, B., Buenrostro, R. Learnings from Implementation and Integration of Interventions from the Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS) Latino Transnational Initiative. National Ryan White Conference. Oxon Hill, MD. December 2018. (Workshop Presentation)
- McCarn, B., Buenrostro, R. Barriers & Facilitators Accessing Treatment and Retention in Care Amongst HIV-Positive MSM. National Ryan White Conference on HIV Care & Treatment. Oxon Hill, MD. December 2018. (Oral Presentation)