SHARON HOMAN, PHD
Dr. Sharon Homan, President of the Sinai Urban Health Institute, is a biostatistician and maternal child mental health epidemiologist. Previously, Sharon served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology and Associate Dean for Research at the University of North Texas School of Public Health in Forth Worth, Texas.
Her prior experience includes public health leadership and faculty positions with Rockhurst University (Academic Vice President), the Kansas Health Institute (Vice President for Public Health) and Saint Louis University (Professor of Biostatistics).
Sharon received her doctoral and master’s degrees from the University of Iowa, studying biostatistics, preventive medicine and environmental health. She completed additional studies in psychiatric epidemiology, theology and social ethics.
Dr. Homan brings a wealth of experience and publications in public health research and evaluation, with particular dedication to maternal and child health, violence prevention and community health improvement initiatives. Her research has been funded by NIH, HRSA, CDC, DOJ, state contracts and foundations.
Sharon enjoys community volunteering, outdoor life, photography, gardening, biking, and tennis, is married to Ken Homan, PhD, and has four adult children.
- Byrne M, McCarthy V, Silva A, Homan S. Health Care Providers on the Frontline: Responding to the Gun Violence Epidemic. In Catholic Bioethics and Social Justice: The Praxis of US Health Care in a Globalized World (Lysaught MT, McCarthy M, editors). MN: Liturgical Press, 2018: 31-46.
- Fitzpatrick V, Castro M, Jacobs J, Shield M; Sebro N, Gulmatico J & S Homan. “Non-Fatal Gunshot Injury Trends on the Westside of Chicago Between 2005-2016.” Journal of Community Health. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-018-00603-8.
- Hirschtick JL, Homan SM, Rauscher G, Rubin LH, Johnson TP, Peterson CE, Persky VW. Persistent and aggressive interactions with the police: potential mental health implications. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2019. doi:10.1017/S2045796019000015.
- Hirschtick JL, Benjamins MR, Homan S (et al). Community Health Counts. Sinai Urban Health Institute, March 2017.
- Sinai Urban Health Insitute (Homan SM), Rob Paral and Associateds, Illinois Children’s Healthcare Foundation, Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation, Michael Reese Health Trust. Oral Health in Illinois. Sinai Urban Health Insitute, October 2016.
- Creel LM, Thomas JA, Homan S, Thompson G, Brown M, Hassell K, Thomas T, Kaye C. Integrating Parents of Children with Special Health Care Needs into the Pediatric Medical Home. J Family Med Community Health, 2017; 4(4): 1114.
- Chen SF, Homan S, Calson E, Popoola T, Radhakrishnan K. The Impact of Race and Neighborhood Racial Composition on Preventable Readmissions for Diabetic Medicare Home Health Beneficiaries. J Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, August 2016. DOI 10.1007/s40615-016-0268-2.
- Romelczyk S, Homan S, Telfair J, Guarav D, Keehn A. Maise D. Healthcare Coordination and Transition for Individuals with Genetic Conditions. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2015;DOI 10.1007/s10995-015-1738-6.
- Chen HF, Popoola T, Radhakrishnan K, Suzuki S, Homan S. Improving Diabetic Patient Transition to Homecare: Leading Risk Factors for 30-day Readmission. American Journal of Managed Care, 2015;21(6):4540-450.
- Homan SM, Lin TL. Children’s Health in All Policies. A Workbook. Kansas Health Institute 2010;No.KHI/10-08. Available http://www.khi.org/news/2010/dec/14/childrens-health-all-policies-workbook/.
- Cook CA, Flick LH, Homan SM, Campbell C, McSweeney M, Gallagher ME. Psychiatric disorders and treatment in low-income pregnant women. J Womens Health 2010;19(7):1251-62.
- Tenkku LE, Flick LH, Homan S, Loveland Cook CA, Campbell C, McSweeney M. Psychiatric disorders among low-income women and unintended pregnancies. Womens Health Issues 2009;19(5):313-24.
- Homan SM. Use of the Kansas Birth Record Data for Monitoring the Health of Mothers and Infants (2010 SB 448). Testimony to the Kansas Senate Committee on Public Health and Welfare, February 8, 2010. Kansas Health Institute 2010. Available at http://www.khi.org/policy/article/testimony-use-kansas-birth-record-data-monitoring-.
- Smit RJ, Homan SM, Nugent AK. Statewide Smoking Bans: A Research Perspective (2010 HB 2642). Testimony to the Kansas House Health and Human Services Committee, February 11, 2010. Kansas Health Institute 2010. Available at http://www.khi.org/policy/article/testimony-statewide-smoking-bans-research-perspect.
- Homan SM. Smit RJ. Economic Impact of Lawrence Smoke-Free Ordinance. Testimony to the Kansas Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee, January 27, 2009. Kansas Health Institute 2009. Available at http://www.khi.org/policy/article/economic-impact-lawrence-smoke-free-ordinance.
- Homan SM, LaClair BJ, Lin TY, Nugent AK. Understanding the Health of Kansas Children. Kansas Health Institute 2009;No.KHI/09-04. Available at http://www.khi.org/policy/article/understanding-health-kansas-children.
- Smit RJ, Homan SM, Maree GC. Economic Impact of Lawrence Smoke-Free Ordinance Issue Brief. Kansas Health Institute 2009;No.KHI/09-02. Available at http://www.khi.org/policy/article/economic-impact-lawrence-smoke-free-ordinance.
- Smit RJ, Homan SM, Maree GC. Economic Impact of the Lawrence Smoke-Free Ordinance Research Addendum. Kansas Health Institute 2009;No.KHI/09-02A.
- Homan SM. Kansas Medicaid: A Primer. Kansas Health Institute 2009;No.KHI/09-03.
- Homan SM, Lin TY, Nugent AN. Evaluation of the Maximizing Office Based Immunizations in Kansas (MOBI-KS) Program. Kansas Health Institute 2009. Available at http://www.khi.org/news/article/evaluation-maximizing-office-based-immunizations-k.
- Homan SM. Connecting social capital and community health. The Journal of Kansas Civic Leadership Development 2009;1(1),21-22. Available at http://kansasleadershipcenter.org/sites/default/files/journal_1.pdf.
- Mohr LB, Luo S, Mathias E, Tobing R, Homan S, Sterling D. Influence of season and temperature on the relationship of elemental carbon air pollution to pediatric asthma emergency room visits. The Journal of Asthma: Official Journal of the Association for the Care of Asthma 2008;45(10):936-943.
- Gillespie KN, Homan KB, Homan SM. Measuring the impact of community benefit. Health Prog 2008;89(5):29-33.
- Cox ER, Halloran DR, Homan SM, Welliver S, Mager DE. Trends in the prevalence of chronic medication use in children: 2002-2005. Pediatrics 2008;122(5):e1053-e1061.
- Barron ML, Flick LH, Cook CA, Homan SM, Campbell C. Associations between psychiatric disorders and menstrual cycle characteristics. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 2008;22(5):254-65.
- Xaverius PK, Homan S, Nickelson PF, Tenkku LE. Disparities rank high in prioritized research, systems and service delivery needs in Missouri. Matern Child Health J 2007;11(5):511-6.
- Garzon DL, Lee RK, Homan SM. There's no place like home: a preliminary study of toddler unintentional injury. J Pediatr Nurs 2007;22(5):368-75.
- Flick LH, Cook CA, Homan SM, McSweeney M, Campbell C, Parnell L. Persistent tobacco use during pregnancy and the likelihood of psychiatric disorders. Am J Public Health 2006;96(10):1799-1807.
- Krygiel JM, Smith DS, Homan SM, Sumner W, 2nd, Nease RF, Jr., Brownson RC, et al. Intermediate term biochemical progression rates after radical prostatectomy and radiotherapy in patients with screen detected prostate cancer. J Urol 2005;174(1):126-30.
- Loveland Cook CA, Flick LH, Homan SM, Campbell C, McSweeney M, Gallagher ME. Posttraumatic stress disorder in pregnancy: prevalence, risk factors, and treatment. Obstet Gynecol 2004;103(4):710-7.
- Lottenbach KR, Granoff DM, Barenkamp SJ, Powers DC, Kennedy D, Irby-Moore S, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of haemophilus influenzae type B polysaccharide or conjugate vaccines in an elderly adult population. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52(11):1883-7.
- Homan SM, Domahidy MR, Gilsinan JF, Brennan DG, Flick MJ, Schonhoff RM et al. Formation for love and justice in graduate and professional education. Current Issues in Catholic Higher Education 2003;23,55-71.
- Cook CAL, Flick LH, Homan SM, Campbell C, McSweeney M, Gallagher ME. Posttraumatic stress disorder in pregnancy: prevalence, risk factors, and treatment. Obstetrics & Gynecology (New York) 2004;103(4):710-717.
- Baker EA, Kreuter M, Homan SM, Starkloff-Morgan S, Schonhoff RM, Francioni, A. Using community-based participatory processes to bring health education technology to communities. Health Promotion Practice 2002;3(1),83-94.
- Frey SE, Homan SM, Sokol-Anderson M, Cayco MT, Cortorreal P, Musial CE, et al. Evidence for probable sexual transmission of the hepatitis g virus. Clin Infect Dis 2002;34(8):1033-8.
- Homan SM, Homan KB, Domahidy MR, Unnerstahl J, Starkloff-Morgan S. The catholic secondary school climate-forming a culture of nonviolence and healthy relatedness. Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice, 2001;14(3)281-300.
- Caldwell K, Domahidy MR, Homan SM, Garanzini, MJ. University-community collaborations: Shaping the vision of catholic higher education. In J. Wilcox & I. King, Eds. Enhancing religious identity best practices from catholic campuses. Washington DC: Georgetown University Press 2000,282-291.
- Homan SM. What's ethics got to do with public health? Fostering professional ethics and social responsibility in public health. In Kavanaugh JF, Werner DJ, Eds., What's ethics got to do with it? Saint Louis, MO: Saint Louis University Press 2000;57-66.
- Vogler C, Homan S, Pung A, Thorpe C, Barker J, Birkenmeier EH, et al. Clinical and pathologic findings in two new allelic murine models of polycystic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999;10(12):2534-9.
- Scharff DP, Homan S, Kreuter M, Brennan L. Factors associated with physical activity in women across the life span: implications for program development. Women Health 1999;29(2):115-134.
- Lottenbach KR, Mink CM, Barenkamp SJ, Anderson EL, Homan SM, Powers DC. Age-associated differences in immunoglobulin G1 (IgG1) and IgG2 subclass antibodies to pneumococcal polysaccharides following vaccination. Infect Immun 1999;67(9):4935-8.
- Brownson RC, Eyler AA, King AC, Shyu YL, Brown DR, Homan SM. Reliability of information on physical activity and other chronic disease risk factors among US women aged 40 years or older. Am J Epidemiol 1999;149(4):379-391.
- Baker EA, Homan S, Schonhoff R, Kreuter M. Principles of practice for academic/practice/community research partnerships. Am J Prev Med 1999;16(3 Suppl):86-93.
- Homan KB, Homan SM, Domahidy M, Unnerstahl J, Starkloff-Morgan S. Situating teen sexuality and violence prevention in ethical context: Role of character development in fostering healthy relationships. Healing Ministry 1999;6(6),225-233.
- Homan SM, Baker EA, Schonhoff RM, Droege T, Domahidy M, Shetti G.Promoting family health and violence prevention in rural Missouri. Healing Ministry 1999,March/April,61-71.
- Nassif PS, Kokoska MS, Homan S, Cooper MH, Thomas JR. Comparison of subperiosteal vs subgaleal elevation techniques used in forehead lifts. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1998;124(11):1209-15.
- Luke DA, Homan SM. Time and change: Using survival analysis in clinical assessment and treatment evaluation. Psychological Assessment 1998;10(4):360-378.
- Flick LH, Homan SM. Mother's sense of coherence as a predictor of family functioning and child problems. In Sense of coherence and resiliency: Stress, coping, and health. Sage Publications 1998.
- Homan SM, Oleskevich D, Foster P, Domahidy MR, Hogan ME. Neighbor to neighbor: working together for healthy families through an urban community partnership. Am J Public Health 1998;88(6):977-978.
- Frantz SW, Haines KA, Azar CG, Ward JI, Homan SM, Roberts RB. Chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) activity against clinical isolates of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VREF) and the effects of moisturizing agents on CHG residue accumulation on the skin. J Hosp Infect 1997;37(2):157-164.
- Caldwell K, Domahidy M, Homan SM, Garanzini MJ. University-community collaborations: Shaping the vision of catholic higher education. Current Issues in Catholic Higher Education 1997;17(2).
- Miller DK, Homan SM. Determining transition probabilities: confusion and suggestions. Medical Decision Making: An International Journal Of The Society For Medical Decision Making 1994;14(1):52-58.
- Cook MA, Homan SM. Establishing connections: A goal for homeless substance abusing mothers. Community Epidemiology Working Group 1993;494-503.
- Homan SM, Flick LH, Heaton TM, Mayer JP, Klien M. Reaching beyond crisis management: Design and implementation of extended shelter-based services for chemically dependent homeless women and their children. In Conrad KJ, Hultman CI, Lyons JS, Eds. Treatment of the chemically dependent homeless: Theory and implementation in fourteen American projects. Binghamton: The Haworth Press, Inc. 1993;101-112.
- Homan SM, Flick LH, Heaton TM, Mayer JP, Klien M. Reaching beyond crisis management: Design and implementation of extended shelter-based services for chemically dependent homeless women and their children. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly 993;10(3/4),101-112.
- Ikeda S, Johnston MF, Yagi K, Gillespie KN, Schweiss JF, Homan SM. Intraoperative autologous blood salvage with cardiac surgery: an analysis of five years' experience in more than 3,000 patients. J Clin Anesth 1992;4(5):359-366.
- Bucholz KK, Homan SM, Helzer JE. When do alcoholics first discuss drinking problems? J Stud Alcohol 1992;53(6):582-589.
- Schwarz KB, Larroya S, Vogler C, Sippel CJ, Homan S, Cockrell R, et al. Role of influenza B virus in hepatic steatosis and mitochondrial abnormalities in a mouse model of Reye syndrome. Hepatology 1991;13(1):96-103.
- Ikeda S, Yagi K, Schweiss JF, Homan SM. In vitro reappraisal of the pulmonary artery catheter balloon volume-pressure relationship: comparison of four different catheters. Can J Anaesth 1991;38(5):648-653.
- Bem WT, Thomas GE, Mamone JY, Homan SM, Levy BK, Johnson FE, et al. Overexpression of sigma receptors in nonneural human tumors. Cancer Res 1991;51(24):6558-6562.
- Yagi K, Ikeda S, Schweiss JF, Homan SM. Measurement of blood cyanide with a microdiffusion method and an ion-specific electrode. Anesthesiology 1990;73(5):1028-1031.
- Kennedy HL, Seiler SM, Sprague MK, Homan SM, Whitlock JA, Kern MJ, et al. Relation of silent myocardial ischemia after coronary artery bypass grafting to angiographic completeness of revascularization and long-term prognosis. Am J Cardiol 1990;65(1):14-22.
- Elixhauser A, Eisen SA, Romeis JC, Homan SM. The effects of monitoring and feedback on compliance. Med Care 1990;28(10):882-93.
- Kennedy HL, Sprague MK, Homan SM, Seiler SM, Wiens RD, Janosik DL, et al. Natural history of potentially lethal ventricular arrhythmias in patients treated with long-term antiarrhythmic drug therapy. Am J Cardiol 1989;64(19):1289-97.
- Miller DK, Homan SM. Graphical aid for determining power of clinical trials involving two groups. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.) 1988;297(6649):672-676.
- Jacobs AJ, Sommers GM, Homan SM, Camel HM, Axelrod JH, Kao MS, et al. Therapy of ovarian carcinoma: the relationship of dose level and treatment intensity to survival. Gynecol Oncol 1988;31(1):233-247.
- Ikeda S, Frank PA, Schweiss JF, Homan SM. In vitro cyanide release from sodium nitroprusside in various intravenous solutions. Anesth Analg 1988;67(4):360-2.
- Evans RG, Webb K, Homan S, Ayres SM. Cross-sectional and longitudinal changes in pulmonary function associated with automobile pollution among bridge and tunnel officers. Am J Ind Med 1988;14(1):25-36.
- Wolinsky FD, Coe RM, Mosely RR, 2nd, Homan SM. Some clarification about health planning in the VA. Med Care 1987;25(11):1105-10.
- Vogler C, McAdams AJ, Homan SM. Glomerular basement membrane and lamina densa in infants and children: an ultrastructural evaluation. Pediatr Pathol 1987;7(5-6):527-534.
- Toce SS, Keenan WJ, Homan SM. Enteral feeding in very-low-birth-weight infants. A comparison of two nasogastric methods. American Journal Of Diseases Of Children (1960) 1987;141(4):439-444.
- Rustige RF, Haddock CC, Homan SM. Value-based leadership: are Catholic hospitals a step ahead? Health Progress (Saint Louis, Mo.) 1987;68(5):62-65.
- Ikeda S, Schweiss JF, Frank PA, Homan SM. In vitro cyanide release from sodium nitroprusside. Anesthesiology 1987;66(3):381-5.
- Haddock CC, Homan SM, Thorman KE. Survey. Part I. Hospital department heads and planning: determining and answering the need for continuing education. Health Care Strateg Manage 1987;5(1):23-6.
- Haddock CC, Homan SM, Thorman KE. Hospital department heads and planning. Part II: Determining and answering the need for continuing education. Health Care Strateg Manage 1987;5(2):21-5.
- Carter JH, Mills AC, Homan SM, Blaesing SL, Heater BS, Stoll LD, et al. Correlating the quality of care with nursing resources and patient parameters: a longitudinal study. NLN Publ 1987(20-2191):331-345.
- Buckingham TA, Ghosh S, Homan SM, Thessen CC, Redd RM, Stevens LL, et al. Independent value of signal-averaged electrocardiography and left ventricular function in identifying patients with sustained ventricular tachycardia with coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 1987;59(6):568-572.
- Homan SM. Application of Weibull modeling and discriminant analysis of alcoholism relapse among veterans. Proceedings of the Social Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association 1987.
- Homan SM, Miller DK. Assisting medical decision-makers in the interpretation of reported clinical trials. Biometric Bulletin 1987.
- Homan SM, Lachenbruch PA. Robust estimation of the exponential scale parameter in small censored samples. Communications in Statistics 1986;B15(4),1087-1108.
- Homan SM, Henderson AC, Dolan TC. Effective consumer surveying. Health Care Strateg Manage 1986;4(4):31-35.
- Homan SM, Haddock CC, Winner CA, Coe RM, Wolinsky FD. Widowhood, sex, labor force participation, and the use of physician services by elderly adults. J Gerontol 1986;41(6):793-796.
- Wolinsky FD, Coe RM, Mosely RR, 2nd, Homan SM. Veterans' and nonveterans' use of health services. A comparative analysis. Med Care 1985;23(12):1358-1371.
- Homan S, Lachenbruch PA, Winokur G, Clayton P. An efficacy study of electroconvulsive therapy and antidepressants in the treatment of primary depression. Psychol Med 1982;12(3):615-624.
- Homan SM, From Healthcare to Health Care and Health Equity: Strategies and Interventions. Presentation as part of panel, Dealing with the Death Gap: A Critical Discussion of Race, Ethnicity, and Socioeconic Status on Health. David Ansell, MD, Sharon Homan, PhD, Niranjan Karnik, MD, PhD and Representative Robert Morgan, addressed to Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Annual Law Symposium, Chicago, IL. November 6, 2019.
- Homan SM, panel presentation with Jan Berger, MD, CEO Health Intelligence Partners and Medical Director, Midwest Business Group on Health, Paul Hannon, Retirement and Healthcare Leader, GE Healthcare, and Derek Robinson, MD, MBA, VP and CMO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois. Social Determinants of Health: Areas of Focus for Employers. Chicago, IL. September 11, 2019.
- Homan SM, Place-Based Epidemiology: New Thinking to Drive Health Equity. Opening Keynote. Health Equity and Social Justice Conference 2019. Chicago, IL. August 5, 2019.