Skip to main content
You are here
- SUHI Publications: Cancer Prevention
SUHI Publications: Cancer Prevention
- Hunt BR and Hurlbert MS. Black:White Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest Cities in the United States, 2005-2014. Cancer Epidemiology (2016); DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2016.07.018.
- Hunt BR, Kanoon J, Allgood K, Benjamins MR. Keys to the Successful Implementation of Community-based Outreach and Navigation: Lessons from a Breast Health Navigation Program. Journal of Cancer Education 2015; September (E-pub). DOI 10.1007/s13187-015-0904-2.
- Allgood KL, Rauscher GH, Whitman S, Vasquez-Jones G, Shah AM. Validating self-reported mammography use in vulnerable communities: findings and recommendations. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, & Prevention. 2014. 23(8); 1649-1658.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Hurlbert M. Increasing Black:White disparities in breast cancer mortality in the 50 largest cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.09.009.
- Sproles, C, Kanoon, J. Helping Her Live 2013 Avon Community Navigation Progress Report Chicago, IL: Sinai Urban Health Institute, January 2014.
- Hunt BR, Allgood K, Sproles C, Whitman S. Metrics for the Systematic Evaluation of Community-Based Outreach Journal of Cancer Education. 2013 28(4): 633-638. DOI 1007/s13187-013-0519-4.
- Freund KM. Letter to the Editor: The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the US. Cancer Epidemiology (2012),http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S. In response to the letter by Dr. Karen Freund Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S, Orsi J, Hurlbert M. The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the United States Cancer Epidemiology 36 (2012) e147–e151.
- Allgood K, Rauscher G, Whitman S. Screening Mammography Need, Utilization and Capacity in Chicago: Can We Fulfill Our Mission and Our Promises? In N. Uchiyama & M. Zanchetta do Nascimento (Eds.), Mammography - Recent Advances. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
- Rauscher GH, Allgood KL, Whitman S, Conant E. Disparities in Screening Mammography Services by Race/Ethnicity and Health InsuranceJournal of Women's Health, 2012; 21(2): 154-160.
- Whitman, S. Ansell, D. Orsi, J. Francois, T. The Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer Mortality Journal of Community Health, 2011 Aug; 36(4): 588-596.
- Ansell D, Grabler P, Whitman S, Ferrans C, Burgess-Bishop J, Murray LR, Rao R, Marcus E. A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in Chicago. Cancer Causes Control. 2009; 20(9): 1681-1688.
- Chicago Metropolitan Breast Cancer Task Force. Improving Quality and Reducing Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality in Metropolitan Chicago.October 2007.
- Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Mammography screening in six diverse communities in Chicago-A population study. Cancer Detection and Prevention. 2007; 31:166-172.
- Hirschman J, Whitman S, Ansell D. The black: white disparity in breast cancer mortality: the example of Chicago. Cancer Causes & Control 2007;18:323-333.
- Hirschman J, Whitman S, Ansell D, Grabler P, Allgood K. Breast Cancer in Chicago: Eliminating Disparities and Improving Mammography Quality.Chicago, Illinois: Sinai Urban Health Institute, October 2006.
- Hunt, BR. Whitman, S. Maternal Smoking in Chicago: A Community-Level Analysis Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011 Feb; 22:194-210.
- Whitman, S. Shah, A. Benjamins, M. Urban Health: Combating Disparities with Local Data Oxford University Press, 2010.
- West J, C Gamboa. Working Together to Live Tobacco-Free: Community-Based Smoking Cessation in North Lawndale. In Whitman, S. Shah, A. Benjamins, M. Urban Health: Combating Disparities with Local Data (151-170) Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Dell JL, Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Smoking in 6 Diverse Chicago Communities - A Population Study. American Journal of Public Health 2005; 95(6):1036-42.