Mount Sinai Hospital offers a safe, caring and comfortable environment for welcoming your new baby into the world. Our compassionate staff and wide range of programs and support services help address your needs before, during and after pregnancy. The care team is prepared for all types of pregnancies from routine births to high risk deliveries including immediate access to a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Count on us to be there for you, every step of the way.
Accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, our Ultrasound Department features advanced equipment and expertise. Our team of experts performs these painless exams each day and is available to answer your questions. Be sure to ask your doctor to refer you to Mount Sinai Hospital and write you a prescription for your ultrasound appointment.
To schedule an appointment please call 773-257-2273
Childbirth Education Classes
Join us for free Childbirth Education Classes at Mount Sinai Hospital and discover the miracle of motherhood. You will learn about the stages of pregnancy, tips on staying healthy, take a tour of our facilities and much more. One of our friendly caregivers will host each class.
Classes in English:
- Wednesdays 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturdays 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Classes in Spanish:
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
To register or for more information place call 773-257-2622
Pre-register for Your Delivery
Be sure to talk with your doctor or midwife to get pre-registered for your delivery at Mount Sinai Hospital. By pre-registering, you avoid having to complete a lot of paperwork while you are in labor. All you will need to do is present a picture ID, sign a consent form and the Registrar will take care of the rest.
Labor and Delivery
Mount Sinai Hospital strives to make your delivery as comfortable, healthy and safe as possible with many great features:
- Comfortable and spacious private rooms for delivery
- Operating rooms available for caesarian sections
- Friendly staff of specially-trained nurses
- Bilingual staff and Interpretive Services including Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)
- Onsite pediatrician that will visit your baby on the day of birth and the next day
- Onsite pain management by our experienced anesthesiologists
- Onsite security system
- Several private post-partum rooms available
You'll also enjoy these extra benefits:
- Newborn TV Channel dedicated to new moms. Learn about healthy sleeping for mom and baby, car seat safety, diaper changing and more.
- We allow sibling visits in the Mother-Baby Unit.
- Significant others get a special access pass to your room (with mom’s permission).
- We welcome community physicians, midwives and doula.
For high-risk pregnancies or when unexpected circumstances arise, our Level III NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) is one of a few hospitals in the Chicago area offering the highest level of care available for newborns – and it’s just steps from the delivery room.
After Your Baby is Born
You will be transferred to one of our post-partum rooms to relax, spend time with your new baby and enjoy a special celebration meal.
On the day your baby is born, a pediatrician will come see you and your baby to make sure you are both healthy. Your pediatrician will visit again the following day for a quick check-up. A member of our experienced staff will also be on hand to give you some great tips and ideas on bonding with your baby.
Before you leave Mount Sinai Hospital, we will work with you to provide exactly what you need for your transition home.
The day you leave the hospital, you’ll meet with a nurse who will give you discharge instructions and answer your questions on how to care for your baby and yourself at home. We will help you schedule your follow-up appointment and that you have selected a doctor for your baby.We can also arrange to drive you and your new baby home if you live within our transportation boundaries of North Avenue to the north, 63rd Street to the south, Halsted on the east and Austin to our west.