BIJOU HUNT, MA
Bijou Hunt joined Sinai Urban Health Institute (SUHI) in the fall of 2008 as the Program Evaluator for Westside Healthy Start. Between October 2010 and June 2013, Bijou served as the Evaluation Manager on the Helping Her Live: Gaining Control of Breast Cancer project. Most recently, Bijou has transitioned to become the evaluator for Sinai Health System's HIV/HCV programs. Additionally, Bijou oversees SUHI's work with vital records data, which includes analyzing both birth and death files for the US, Chicago, and other large cities across the nation. The focus of this work is on documenting and understanding health disparities.
Bijou's current work is supported by a research grant through the Avon Foundation. This three-year, $200,000 grant will enable Bijou to continue her work in breast cancer disparities in the US. The grant will allow Ms. Hunt to, (1) further investigate racial disparities in breast cancer mortality in the 50 biggest US cities by assessing the scope of breast health services and resources at the city-level to see how this might impact the observed disparity, and (2) examine breast cancer prevalence and mortality rates among Hispanic sub-groups (including Cuban, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Central and South American). The annual Progress Report is available here.
M.A., Sociology, University of Maryland, 2007
B.A., Spanish and Sociology, University of Iowa, 2003
- Hunt BR, Picard C, Hirschtick J, Glick N. HIV Testing Prevalence in selected Chicago community areas: The importance of local-level data. AIDS Care (2018).
- Sighoko D, Hunt BR, Irizarry B, Watson K, Ansell D. Disparity in breast cancer mortality by age and geography in 10 racially diverse US cities. Cancer Epidemiology (2018); DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2018.02.003.
- White DAE, Giordano TP, Pasalar S, Jacobson KR, Glick NR, Sha BE, Mammen PE, Hunt BR, Todorovic T, Moreno-Walton L, Adomolga V, Feaster DJ, Branson BM. Acute HIV Discovered During Routine HIV Screening With HIV Antigen-Antibody Combination Tests in 9 US Emergency Departments. Annals of Emergency Medicine (2017), doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.11.027.
- Silva A, Molina Y, Hunt BR, Markossian T, Saiyed N. Potential Impact of the Affordable Care Act's Preventive Services Provision on Breast Cancer Stage: A Preliminary Assessment. Cancer Epidemiology (2017); DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2017.05.015.
- Allgood K, Hunt BR, Kanoon J, Simon M. Evaluation of Mammogram Parties as an Effective Community Navigation Method. Journal of Cancer Education (2017); DOI: 10.1007/s13187-017-1206-7.
- Benjamins MR, Hirschtick JL, Hunt BR, Hughes MM, Hunter B. Racial Disparities in Heart Disease Mortality in the 50 Largest U.S. Cities. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2016); DIO: 10.1007/s40615-016-0300-6.
- Hunt BR and Hurlbert MS. Black:White Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest Cities in the United States, 2005-2014. Cancer Epidemiology (2016); DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2016.07.018.
- Hunt BR. Breast Cancer Prevalence and Mortality among Hispanic subgroups in the United States, 2009-2013. Journal of Cancer Epidemiology (2016); DOI: 10.1155/2016/8784040.
- Benjamins MR, Hunt BR, Raleigh SM, Hirschtick JL, Hughes MM. Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest US Cities. Cancer Epidemiology (2016); 44: 125-131. DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2016.07.019.
- Montuno A, Hunt BR, Lee MM. Potential Impact of a Bedside Procedure Service on Training Procedurally Competent Hospitalists in a Community-Based Residency Program. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives 2016, 6: 31054. DOI: 10.3402/jchimp.v6.31054.
- Hunt BR and Balachandran B. Black:White Disparities in Lung Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest Cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2015); 39(6): 908-916. DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2015.10.003.
- Hunt BR, Allgood KL, Kanoon JM, Benjamins MR. Keys to the Successful Implementation of Community-Based Outreach and Navigation: Lessons from a Breast Health Navigation Program. Journal of Cancer Education (2015); DOI: 10.1007/s13187-015-0904-2.
- De Souza JA, Hunt BR, Asirwa FC, Adebamowo C, Lopes G. Global Health Equity: Cancer Care Outcomes Disparities in High, Middle and Low Income Countries. Journal of Clinical Oncology (2015); DOI:10.1200/JCO.2015.62.2860.
- Allgood K, Hunt BR, Rucker M. Black:White Disparities in HIV Mortality in the United States: 1990-2009. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2015); DOI: 10.1007/s40615-015-0141-8.
- Gutierrez Kapheim M, Ramsay J, Schwindt T, Hunt BR, Margellos-Anast H. Utilizing the Community Health Worker Model to communicate strategies for asthma self-management and self-advocacy among public housing residents. Journal of Communication in Healthcare 2015; 8(2): 95-105. DOI: http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/1753807615Y.0000000011.
- Hunt BR, Tran G, Whitman, S. Life Expectancy Varies in Local Communities in Chicago: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2015); 2(4): 425-433. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-015-0089-8.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S. Black:White Health Disparities in the United States and Chicago: 1990–2010. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2014); 2(1): 93-100. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-014-0052-0.
- Hunt BR, Deot D, Whitman S. Stroke Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Stroke (2014); DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.005431.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Hurlbert M. Increasing Black:White disparities in breast cancer mortality in the 50 largest cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2014); 38(2): 118-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.09.009.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Henry C. Age-Adjusted Diabetes Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Diabetes Care (2014); 37(5): 1279-86. DOI: 10.2337/dc13-0988.
- Hunt BR, Allgood K, Sproles C, Whitman S. Metrics for the Systematic Evaluation of Community-Based Outreach Journal of Cancer Education (2013); 28(4): 633-638. DOI 1007/s13187-013-0519-4.
- Hunt BR. Whitman S. Maternal Smoking in Chicago: A Community-Level Analysis Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved (2011); 22:194-210.