Vital Records Data - Natality & Mortality Files
- Hunt BR, Tran G, Whitman S. Life Expectancy Varies in Local Communities in Chicago: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2015), doi: 10.1007/s40615-015-0089-8.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S. Black:White Health Disparities in the United States and Chicago: 1990–2010. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2014), doi: 10.1007/s40615-014-0052-0.
- Hunt BR, Deot D, Whitman S. Stroke Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Stroke. May 30, 2014. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.005431.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Hurlbert M. Increasing Black:White disparities in breast cancer mortality in the 50 largest cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.09.009.
- Rosenstock S, Whitman S, West JF, Balkin M. Racial Disparities in Diabetes Mortality in the 50 Most Populous US Cities. Journal of Urban Health (2014), doi: 10.1007/s11524-013-9861-4.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Henry C. Age-Adjusted Diabetes Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Diabetes Care. Feb 26, 2014. doi: 10.2337/dc13-0988.
- Freund KM. Letter to the Editor: The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the US. Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S. In response to the letter by Dr. Karen Freund Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S, Orsi J, Hurlbert M. The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the United States Cancer Epidemiology 36 (2012) e147–e151.
- Hunt, BR. Whitman, S. Maternal Smoking in Chicago: A Community-Level Analysis Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011 Feb; 22:194-210.
- Whitman, S. Ansell, D. Orsi, J. Francois, T. The Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer Mortality Journal of Community Health, 2011 Aug; 36(4): 588-596.
- Orsi, JM. Margellos-Anast, H. Whitman, S. Black: White Health Disparities in the United States and Chicago: A 15-Year Progress Analysis. Am J Public Health. 2010 Feb; 100(2): 349-56.
- Whitman S, Silva A, Shah A, Ansell D. Diversity and Disparity: GIS and Small-Area Analysis in Six Chicago Neighborhoods. Journal of Medical Systems 2004; 28(4):397-411.
- Margellos H, Silva A, Whitman S. Comparison of Health Status Indicators in Chicago: Are Black-White Disparities Worsening? American Journal of Public Health 2004; 94(1):116-21.
- Silva A, Margellos H, Whitman S, Ansell D. Is Chicago Meeting the Healthy People 2000 Goal of Reducing Disparities? Illinois Primary Health Care Association: Health Source October 2002; 5(10).
- Greenspan B. Health Disparities and the US Health Care System. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):417-18.
- Silva A, Whitman S, Margellos H, Ansell D. Evaluating Chicago's Success in Reaching the Healthy People 2000 Goal of Reducing Health Disparities. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):484-94.
- Whitman S. Racial Disparities in Health: Taking It Personally. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):387-89. (Guest Editorial by Whitman who edited the special issue of PHR on Health Disparities).
Sinai’s Improving Community Health Survey
- Benjamins MR. Race/Ethnic Discrimination and Preventive Service Utilization in a Sample of Whites, Blacks, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans. (2012). Medical Care, 50(10):870-6.
- Whitman, S. Shah, A. Benjamins, M. Urban Health: Combating Disparities with Local Data Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Shah AM, Guo L, Magee M, Cheung W, Simon M, LaBreche A, Liu H. Comparing Selected Measures of Health Outcomes and Health-Seeking Behaviors in Chinese, Cambodian, and Vietnamese Communities of Chicago: Results from Local Health Surveys J Urban Health 2010; Sep 87(5): 813-26.
- Whitman S, Silva A, Shah AM. Disproportionate Impact of Diabetes in a Puerto Rican Community of Chicago. Journal of Community Health 2006; 31(6):521-31.
- Shah AM, Whitman S, Silva A. Variations in the Health Conditions of 6 Chicago Community Areas: A Case for Local-Level Data. American Journal of Public Health 2006; 96(8):1485-91.
- Dell JL, Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Smoking in 6 Diverse Chicago Communities - A Population Study. American Journal of Public Health 2005; 95(6):1036-42.
- Benjamins MR and Whitman S. Relationships between Discrimination in Health Care and Health Care Outcomes among Four Race/Ethnic Groups. (2014). Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 37 (3): 402-413.
- Benjamins MR. Comparing Measures of Racial/Ethnic Discrimination, Coping, and Associations with Health-Related Outcomes in a Diverse Sample. (2013). Journal of Urban Health, 90(5): 832-848.
- Allgood K, Rauscher G, Whitman S. Screening Mammography Need, Utilization and Capacity in Chicago: Can We Fulfill Our Mission and Our Promises? In N. Uchiyama & M. Zanchetta do Nascimento (Eds.), Mammography - Recent Advances. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
- Ansell D, Grabler P, Whitman S, Ferrans C, Burgess-Bishop J, Murray LR, Rao R, Marcus E. A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in Chicago. Cancer Causes Control. 2009; 20(9): 1681-1688.
- Tao LS, Han J, Shah AM. Measuring State-Level Asian American and Pacific Islander Health Disparities: The Case of Illinois. Asian American Pacific Islander Nexus 2006; 4(1):81-96.