SUHI's work in the field of health disparities has several focal points. First and foremost, we aim to understand disparities within the city of Chicago. We do this by studying racial disparities at the city-level and also by studying disparities across the 77 officially designated community areas of Chicago. Second, we aim to understand disparities at the national level, which provide a point of comparison for assessing disparities in Chicago. Finally, we aim to understand disparities in other large US cities. This helps us to situate Chicago as well as to understand the trend in disparities over time.
The data sources employed to assess health disparities include vital records data (birth and death certificate data), as well as our Sinai Community Health Survey data.
Vital Records Data - Natality & Mortality Files
- Benjamins MR, Hirschtick JL, Hunt BR, Hughes MM, Hunter B. Racial Disparities in Heart Disease Mortality in the 50 Largest U.S. Cities. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2016); DIO: 10.1007/s40615-016-0300-6.
- Hunt BR and Hurlbert MS. Black:White Disparities in Breast Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest Cities in the United States, 2005-2014. Cancer Epidemiology (2016); DOI:10.1016/j.canep.2016.07.018.
- Hunt BR. Breast Cancer Prevalence and Mortality among Hispanic subgroups in the United States, 2009-2013. Journal of Cancer Epidemiology (2016); DOI: 10.1155/2016/8784040.
- Benjamins MR, Hunt BR, Raleigh SM, Hirschtick JL, Hughes MM. Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest US Cities. Cancer Epidemiology (2016); 44: 125-131. DOI:10.1016/j.canep.2016.07.0719.
- Hunt BR and Balachandran B. Black:White Disparities in Lung Cancer Mortality in the 50 Largest Cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2015); 39(6): 908-916. DOI: 10.1016/j.canep.2015.10.003.
- De Souza JA, Hunt BR, Asirwa FC, Adebamowo C, Lopes G. Global Health Equity: Cancer Care Outcomes Disparities in High, Middle and Low Income Countries. Journal of Clinical Oncology (2015); DOI:10.1200/JCO.2015.62.2860.
- Allgood K, Hunt BR, Rucker M. Black:White Disparities in HIV Mortality in the United States: 1990-2009. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2015); DOI: 10.1007/s40615-015-0141-8.
- Hunt BR, Tran G, Whitman S. Life Expectancy Varies in Local Communities in Chicago: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2015), doi: 10.1007/s40615-015-0089-8.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S. Black:White Health Disparities in the United States and Chicago: 1990–2010. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (2014), doi: 10.1007/s40615-014-0052-0.
- Hunt BR, Deot D, Whitman S. Stroke Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Stroke. May 30, 2014. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.005431.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Hurlbert M. Increasing Black:White disparities in breast cancer mortality in the 50 largest cities in the United States. Cancer Epidemiology (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.09.009.
- Rosenstock S, Whitman S, West JF, Balkin M. Racial Disparities in Diabetes Mortality in the 50 Most Populous US Cities. Journal of Urban Health (2014), doi: 10.1007/s11524-013-9861-4.
- Hunt BR, Whitman S, Henry C. Age-Adjusted Diabetes Mortality Rates Vary in Local Communities in a Metropolitan Area: Racial and Spatial Disparities and Correlates. Diabetes Care. Feb 26, 2014. doi: 10.2337/dc13-0988.
- Freund KM. Letter to the Editor: The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the US. Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S. In response to the letter by Dr. Karen Freund Cancer Epidemiology (2012), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2012.05.007.
- Whitman S, Orsi J, Hurlbert M. The racial disparity in breast cancer mortality in the 25 largest cities in the United States Cancer Epidemiology 36 (2012) e147–e151.
- Hunt, BR. Whitman, S. Maternal Smoking in Chicago: A Community-Level Analysis Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2011 Feb; 22:194-210.
- Whitman, S. Ansell, D. Orsi, J. Francois, T. The Racial Disparity in Breast Cancer Mortality Journal of Community Health, 2011 Aug; 36(4): 588-596.
- Orsi, JM. Margellos-Anast, H. Whitman, S. Black: White Health Disparities in the United States and Chicago: A 15-Year Progress Analysis. Am J Public Health. 2010 Feb; 100(2): 349-56.
- Whitman S, Silva A, Shah A, Ansell D. Diversity and Disparity: GIS and Small-Area Analysis in Six Chicago Neighborhoods. Journal of Medical Systems 2004; 28(4):397-411.
- Margellos H, Silva A, Whitman S. Comparison of Health Status Indicators in Chicago: Are Black-White Disparities Worsening? American Journal of Public Health 2004; 94(1):116-21.
- Silva A, Margellos H, Whitman S, Ansell D. Is Chicago Meeting the Healthy People 2000 Goal of Reducing Disparities? Illinois Primary Health Care Association: Health Source October 2002; 5(10).
- Greenspan B. Health Disparities and the US Health Care System. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):417-18.
- Silva A, Whitman S, Margellos H, Ansell D. Evaluating Chicago's Success in Reaching the Healthy People 2000 Goal of Reducing Health Disparities. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):484-94.
- Whitman S. Racial Disparities in Health: Taking It Personally. Public Health Reports 2001; 116(5):387-89. (Guest Editorial by Whitman who edited the special issue of PHR on Health Disparities).
Sinai’s Improving Community Health Survey
- Benjamins MR. Race/Ethnic Discrimination and Preventive Service Utilization in a Sample of Whites, Blacks, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans. (2012). Medical Care, 50(10):870-6.
- Whitman, S. Shah, A. Benjamins, M. Urban Health: Combating Disparities with Local Data Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Shah AM, Guo L, Magee M, Cheung W, Simon M, LaBreche A, Liu H. Comparing Selected Measures of Health Outcomes and Health-Seeking Behaviors in Chinese, Cambodian, and Vietnamese Communities of Chicago: Results from Local Health Surveys J Urban Health 2010; Sep 87(5): 813-26.
- Whitman S, Silva A, Shah AM. Disproportionate Impact of Diabetes in a Puerto Rican Community of Chicago. Journal of Community Health 2006; 31(6):521-31.
- Shah AM, Whitman S, Silva A. Variations in the Health Conditions of 6 Chicago Community Areas: A Case for Local-Level Data. American Journal of Public Health 2006; 96(8):1485-91.
- Dell JL, Whitman S, Shah AM, Silva A, Ansell D. Smoking in 6 Diverse Chicago Communities - A Population Study. American Journal of Public Health 2005; 95(6):1036-42.
- Benjamins MR and Whitman S. Relationships between Discrimination in Health Care and Health Care Outcomes among Four Race/Ethnic Groups. (2014). Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 37 (3): 402-413.
- Benjamins MR. Comparing Measures of Racial/Ethnic Discrimination, Coping, and Associations with Health-Related Outcomes in a Diverse Sample. (2013). Journal of Urban Health, 90(5): 832-848.
- Allgood K, Rauscher G, Whitman S. Screening Mammography Need, Utilization and Capacity in Chicago: Can We Fulfill Our Mission and Our Promises? In N. Uchiyama & M. Zanchetta do Nascimento (Eds.), Mammography - Recent Advances. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech.
- Ansell D, Grabler P, Whitman S, Ferrans C, Burgess-Bishop J, Murray LR, Rao R, Marcus E. A community effort to reduce the black/white breast cancer mortality disparity in Chicago. Cancer Causes Control. 2009; 20(9): 1681-1688.
- Tao LS, Han J, Shah AM. Measuring State-Level Asian American and Pacific Islander Health Disparities: The Case of Illinois. Asian American Pacific Islander Nexus 2006; 4(1):81-96.