The Sinai Urban Health Institute (SUHI) is a research center dedicated to improving the health of Chicago’s urban communities. Led by a team of committed and energetic social epidemiologists, the Institute provides evidence-based examination of community health status, the effectiveness of interventions and clinical care, and health-care delivery methodologies. We are seeking a Research Support Specialist to handle the day-to-day administrative and business activities related to research conducted at the Sinai Urban Health Institute.
Under minimal supervision, the Research Support Specialist will provide heavy administrative support to staff of 30-40 epidemiologist, supervisors, program managers, and community health workers.
The majority of work (80% or more) includes:
- Processing payroll
- Basic departmental accounting, such as check requests and purchase orders
- Conducting departmental orientation and preparing offices for onboarding staff
- Meeting preparation and minutes
- Preparing presentation materials, including PowerPoint and graphs
- Maintaining staff records
- Scheduling meetings for leadership staff
- Maintaining a functional and pleasant work environment by initiating and tracking requests for IT, printing, supplies, keys, environmental services, pest control, engineering, security, and other support services.
- Performing all other administrative duties as assigned
Research-Related Duties (10-20% of time) include:
- Performing literature searches
- Entering data
- Maintaining physical and electronic research files
- Managing research literature databases
Required Education and Experience
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree
- AND 1-3 years’ work experience in a public health or research setting preferred.
This position requires close attention to detail, excellent exercise of judgment, and detailed knowledge of institutional policies related to work performed.
The successful applicant should have:
- Proficiency in Microsoft WORD, Excel, Access and Power Point, and the ability to pick-up additional computer skills as needed.
- Extensive knowledge of office methods and procedures, filing, telephone techniques, and office equipment, as well as English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to perform secretarial and clerical duties with speed and accuracy with minimal supervision.
- Intermediate math skills.
- Must be a self-starter who completes tasks in a timely manner without reminders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills enabling him/her to interact with caregivers in all settings of the Health System.
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to juggle many requests, many tasks, and many people all at one time.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Must exhibit sensitivity to all patients and caregivers and be culturally competent in dealing with people from a variety of backgrounds, race/ethnicities, orientations.
Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color and women to apply. If interested, please submit your resume and cover letter ASAP to http://www.sinai.org/careers/search.