You are here
Sinai Health System Enacts Temporary Visitor Restrictions in Response to Influenza Activity in Illinois
SINAI HEALTH SYSTEM ENACTS TEMPORARY VISITOR RESTRICTIONS
IN RESPONSE TO INFLUENZA ACTIVITY IN ILLINOIS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 29, 2017
In response to widespread influenza activity throughout the Chicago area and Illinois, Sinai Health System is enacting temporary visitor restrictions at its hospitals and clinics, including Mount Sinai Hospital and Holy Cross Hospital.
The Chicago Department of Public Health and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) have recommended that hospitals in the region implement these restrictions, along with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) comprehensive influenza prevention and control recommendations.
During this time of increased incidence of influenza-like illness in the community, temporary visitor restriction policies will include the following:
- No visitation by persons less than 18 years of age,
- Limit number of visitors to two per patient at any one time,
- Promote compliance with Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Hygiene/Cough Etiquette,
- Assessment of all visitors for symptoms of acute respiratory illness (fever, cough, sore throat),
- Request that visitors with acute respiratory illness symptoms not visit, but if they insist, require a mask be worn, and
- Limit visits to patients in isolation for influenza to persons who are necessary for the patient’s emotional well-being and care.
Exemptions to these temporary visitor restrictions will be made at the discretion of the hospital’s Infection Prevention and Control departments for circumstances including, but not limited to, end-of-life situations. Sinai Health System will continue to implement these temporary visitor restriction policies until the IDPH determines that state influenza activity level falls to “Sporadic” activity level or below.
Director of Communications and PR
Sinai Health System
About Sinai Health System
Sinai Health System, a Chicago-based private, not-for-profit organization, is comprised of seven member organizations: Mount Sinai Hospital, Holy Cross Hospital, Sinai Children’s Hospital, Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital, Sinai Medical Group, Sinai Community Institute and Sinai Urban Health Institute. The system has over 800 physicians on its hospital medical staffs, 695 licensed beds, 100,000+ annual emergency department patient visits and eight physician residency training programs. For more information, visit www.sinai.org