Mount Sinai Hospital
Founded in 1919 as a 60-bed hospital to serve needy Eastern European Jewish immigrants and to train Jewish physicians denied educational opportunities elsewhere, Mount Sinai has a rich history of catering to the underserved. Today, the hospital serves a predominantly African American and Latino community with vigor and dedication that has only grown stronger through the years.
Sinai has served its community for more than 90 years
Mount Sinai began in 1912 as Maimonides Hospital, named for a great Torah scholar and Aristotelian philosopher born in Spain, trained as a physician and committed to a lifestyle tempered by moderation in all things. After being reorganized and renamed, it reopened as Mount Sinai Hospital in 1919.
In the 1920s, Sinai physicians stressed clinical research in areas such as cardiology, bariatrics, gastrointestinal surgery, obstetrics, and gynecology. During the Second World War, medical research became laboratory-based, with research expanding to subspecialties such as pathology, cardiology, hematology, surgery, psychiatry, anesthesiology and radiology. Most recently, the hospital campus has expanded and developed many innovative community-based programs, with impressive growth in maternal and child health, as well as in the emergency department. Today, Sinai Health System encompasses Mount Sinai Hospital, Sinai Children’s Hospital, Schwab Rehabilitation Hospital, Sinai Medical Group, Sinai Community Institute and Sinai Urban Health Institute.
Holy Cross Hospital
Holy Cross Hospital was sponsored by the Sisters of St. Casimir in 1928 and began with a commitment to provide quality health care to all with compassion. Caring for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of community residents has always been its core mission. At the time Holy Cross Hospital was founded, there were many newly immigrated families in the community, economic times were tough and there were few area resources for health care. Under the steady direction of Mother Maria Kaupas and the Sisters of St. Casimir, the hospital grew and grew to better care for expanding neighborhoods and new residents.
Today, again, Holy Cross Hospital continues to treat many people who might struggle to make ends meet. The mission stays true to Mother Maria’s commitment to treat all with respect and love.
Holy Cross Hospital joined Sinai Health System January 16, 2012, strengthening the capabilities of the entire system for serving communities on the Southwest and West sides of Chicago.