Vice President, Patient Care Services/CNO
Location: Holy Cross Hospital
Reports to: Senior Vice President
Supervises: Applicable leadership staff in the following departments: 4th Floor Nursing, 5th Floor Nursing, Family Birthing Center, Surgical Services, Intensive Care Unit, Respiratory Care, Emergency Department.
Reporting to the senior leader and working through department leadership staff, is responsible for organizing, planning, directing and controlling the activities of professional and ancillary nursing personnel and related departments to ensure that a high quality of patient care is provided. Facilitates collaboration between nursing, other hospital departments and the medical staff. Accountable for assuring compliance with all accrediting agency standards governing the delivery of patient care.
1. In consultation with the senior leader and system CNO, organizes, plans, and directs patient care functions and develops short and long term goals and objectives for nursing and ancillary operations.
2. Works with department leaders in the development of cascading goals, plans, forecasts and budgets for their areas of responsibility, reflective of the overall strategic direction of the system. Develops the overall service plans, philosophy and budgets. Secures approval of and administers budgets which provide for the attainment of agreed upon goals and objectives.
3. Ensures the development, review and administration of overall nursing and ancillary service policies, procedures and standards which are consistent with efficient and effective nursing and ancillary care practices. Coordinates and integrates such policies and procedures with other Hospital departments. Provides direction and oversight in all areas of the hospital where nursing care is practiced, including areas not in a direct reporting relationship.
4. Provides direction and oversight for the overall patient experience including education, measurement and improvement over time.
5. Interviews, hires, evaluates and, if necessary, disciplines key patient care personnel. Directs department leaders and supervisory patient care personnel with solving complex employee relations matters.
6. Reviews and evaluates the performance of leaders in areas of responsibility. Provides ongoing leadership development, mentoring and succession planning.
7. Serves as the liaison for the Patient Care departments with other Hospital departments, the medical staff, and other organizations and agencies.
8. Directs the development of staffing plans and makes recommendations regarding the needs and policies necessary to provide proper staffing levels. Assures overall safe patient care staffing on a 24-hour basis.
9. Meets with members of the community to promote community relations for the Hospital. Attends meetings of professional, civic and service organizations as a representative of the hospital.
10. Responsible for ensuring that patient care departments are in compliance with all applicable local, state, federal regulations, HFAP standards.
11. Keeps abreast of the latest developments in leadership, patient care, and nursing techniques. Initiates and directs studies of new products, techniques, equipment, etc. to improve the level and/or efficiency of patient care provided.
12. Performs other administrative responsibilities as assigned.
Master's degree required in Nursing, Hospital, Business Administration or related field. Must have a BSN, an MSN or both.
Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
Administrative nursing certification preferred
Seven to ten years of progressive nursing leadership experience. Hospital leadership experience preferred.
The interpersonal skills to work effectively in sensitive, delicate and/or complex situations with physicians, caregivers, patients, family members and external customers.
The managerial, administrative and problem solving skills necessary to direct the nursing services of the Hospital and to participate in the development of the Hospital's goals, plans and financial forecasting.
Strong clinical knowledge of nursing services in order to ensure that quality patient care models are implemented.
Works in an office environment but often in high stress situations, with 24 hour accountability for patient care.
INSIDE AND OUTSIDE CONTACTS:
Deals with employees at all levels to solve a variety of sensitive and confidential issues in a professional manner. Interacts frequently with external sources, including educational institutions, consultants, vendors and governmental agencies.