Supply Chain - System Director
GENERAL SUMMARY/BASIC PURPOSE OF JOB:
The position provides both strategic direction and daily tactical support for the health system’s supply chain function. Incumbent will create supply plans, implement cost/waste reducing strategies, and develop supply chain management policies and procedures to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of the associated services and consistent with best practices. The role provides leadership for the system in the evaluation and procurement of equipment and supplies, warehousing, distribution of equipment and supplies, inventory control, copy center and fleet operations, mail room, and Value Analysis committees. The role applies practices to respond to business and operational challenges and help to advance organizational goals. The development and monitoring of dashboards and key metrics are essential to effective operations and to track performance. The Sinai Health System is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D. TTY number: 773-257-6289.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Supports the fluid functioning of the Value Analysis Committees (VAC) across the system. Correspondingly, ensures the appropriate analysis is completed along with the required logistics and communications are timely executed.
- Participate in group purchases with various buying groups including system’s designated group purchasing organization(s).
- Negotiate contracts consistent with the health systems terms with key vendor partners to provide greater value to the health system.
- Provides for the effective procurement processes of supplies, services, and equipment for the health system in the most cost-effective manner through the optimal leveraging of purchasing position through existing or new group purchasing organizations or local negotiated agreements.
- Creates an integrated, effective, and accountable procurement process that is executed broadly across the company.
- Oversees the coordination of materials procurement that meets production requirements, while maximizing customer service levels and minimizing inventory levels and waste.
- Provides hands-on management of vendor relationships associated with certain material needs, and hands-on oversight of all individuals associated with materials procurement.
- Researches and develops alternate vendor sources as needed.
- Establishes and reviews purchasing contracts; oversee competitive bidding processes where necessary.
- Maintains dynamic plan to review, implement, and assess best practices in Supply Chain Management for the health system (e.g. automated procurement and inventory systems for application with the health system).
- Develops, implements, evaluates and revises the health system’s and division’s policies and procedures to accurately reflect sound and consistent business practices.
- Prepare, maintain, and review divisional quality metrics/key indicators/dashboards; incorporate into process improvement efforts and communication with respective staff across the division; provide appropriate reporting to health system as required.
- Create performance metrics and standards for all aspects of purchasing, and implement supplier improvement initiatives where necessary.
- Ensure the presence and responsiveness for the system’s Recall and Defective Product Process. Reviews logs for trends and possible safety concerns.
- Collaborate with system’s Environment of Care and Device Safety Committees to support on-going efforts to support patient and caregiver safety as well as emergency preparedness.
- Ensure annual orientation/instruction for back/lift safety with division caregivers.
- Ensure safe practices in the handling and cleaning of equipment in a manner consistent with Infection Control practices.
- Oversee the accounting and disposition of recalled, obsolete, defective or rejected materials/equipment and the associated recall system in conjunction with key leadership across the system.
- Maintain compliance for areas of responsibility and participate in internal and external audits.
- Develops appropriate mechanisms to ensure caregiver engagement and communication, demonstrating a solid working knowledge of duties, labor, and other applicable aspects to maintaining an engaged work force.
- Prepare budget requests and approve departmental operating expenditures; manage to operating budgets and goals.
- Effectively manage the storage and use of all supplies, develop and maintain efficient inventory systems to minimize costs and assure adequate supply levels; manage the distribution of supplies throughout the hospital.
- Oversee and manage a system-wide process that results in establishing and meeting cost savings goals, and spearhead negotiations to reduce raw material costs and the implementation of other cost control measures.
- Develop improved production planning processes that result in the establishment of appropriate inventory par levels and optimal materials management using appropriate arithmetic approaches.
- Effectively manage the processes to request, deliver, retrieve, and store clinical support equipment, develop and maintain efficient equipment inventory systems to minimize costs and assure adequate supply levels.
- Maintain relationships with department heads through the establishment of service level agreements governing these relationships for supply and designated patient care equipment.
- Conduct studies relative to material utilization within the hospital and customer satisfaction surveys and follow up.
- Perform and provide for the personnel management functions of the division; ensure adequate staffing levels, timely performance evaluations of staff, and resolution of disciplinary problems in a timely manner.
- Oversee vendor relationships to ensure optimal costs, quality, safety, yield, timeliness and identify other opportunities to maximize value from the company’s vendor relationships.
- Work in a team environment between the functions of Operations, Quality Assurance, Finance, and other departments, and interact regularly with senior management regarding goals and accomplishments.
- Attend, participate in, and may conduct division or department meetings and attend hospital or health system meetings as required.
- Evaluates procurement strategies in consideration of primary, secondary, and tertiary GPO agreements.
- Seeks to maximize savings through aggregation, affiliations/memberships (e.g. ASCEND, IPC), and local negotiations.
- Develops overall annual goals incollaboration with Vice President and GPO Regional Director.
- Attend educational seminars to keep current with the latest trends and developments in Material Management/Supply Chain Management.
- Represent SHS with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
BS degree in business, finance, accounting, information technology, supply chain management or in a related area; Master’s preferred (MHA, MBA, MS, or equivalent)
MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE:
Eight (8) to ten (10) years of progressive management experience in inventory management and purchasing experience with a strong systems approach.
Five (5) years of experience managing a team, and interactions in a cross-functional team environment.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- An understanding of business and management principles, leadership strategies and strategic planning.
- The ability to manage people, build teams and communicate effectively.
- Results focused individual with strong initiative and service orientation.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Excellent skills in establishing policies, procedures and controls.
- Expert negotiation skills.
- Must have strong analytic skills, and be very detail oriented.
- Experience with contract review.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office, particularly Word and Excel.
- Able to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of materials, distribution of goods and manufacturing processes.
- Familiarity with the principles of transportation/logistics.
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles, along with forecasting and analyzing data and financial information.
How to apply:
Please email your resume to email@example.com the position title in the subject line. You may also fax your resume to (773)257-6290 attention Marisa Robertson. Applications can also be obtained in person at 15th and California from the Human Resources department Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 4:30pm.