Manager, Patient Safety
Sinai Health System has an exciting opportunity to join our team as the Patient Safety Manager.
The Patient Safety Manager responsibilities include management and coordination of patient safety programs resulting in improved patient care, operations and patient experience. Responsible for managing all domains of practice that relate to patient safety. Participates in the development of strategies to improve the reporting on patient safety related events. Collaborates with hospital and medical staff leadership on projects to improve patient safety across the health system. Provides consultation, training, and development involving all aspects of patient safety to hospital and medical staff leaders and caregivers. Manages all aspects of data and reporting associated with patient safety information.
- Reports to: System Director of Patient Safety/Patient Safety Officer
- Provides Supervision to: None
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Manages the development and coordination of patient safety programs for system hospitals. Works with Patient Safety teams, operational and medical leadership in analyzing the human, organizational, and system factors contributing to adverse events and work with them to identify and implement risk reduction strategies that promote patient safety.
- Establishes patient safety teams, CUSP teams and other ad-hoc teams across SHS and provides leadership, facilitation and/or consultation in their development, scope of work, strategies, analysis of data and overall effectiveness in reaching their patient safety goals. Consults on redesign of systems and processes across the system.
- Develops, analyzes and presents patient safety metrics and benchmarks. Administers the Patient Safety Culture survey and summarizes results; shares results with CUSP teams, Executive Leaders, and other appropriate groups Utilizes various statistical methods and tools to accurately collect, measure and assess performance.
- Responsible for the management of the Occurrence Reporting System; Routinely summarizes and reports data from the system; identifies trends and patterns. Functions as Hospital liaison to external patient safety-related database entities. Develops and maintains proficiency in the utilization of databases (internal/external) to produce reports and provide information to departments and committees.
- Manages Occurrences, associated databases, and Quality Line.
- Develops and implements training programs for Hospital and Medical Staff leadership and the caregiver community on patient safety
- Receives reports of potential and real adverse events; arranges and facilitates patient safety huddles; Assists in completion and documentation of all Root Cause Analysis Activities
- Collaborates with various members of the Hospital’s global quality and patient safety team (i.e., Risk Management, Patient Safety, Nursing Quality, Operations, etc.) and assists with the planning and execution of the Hospital’s quality and patient safety strategic plan.
- Develops and disseminates patient safety reports to the various Hospital and Medical Staff committees and assists in their preparation for Board meeting presentations.
- Coordinates SHS participation in external Patient Safety programs such as the PSO, patient safety related grants and other projects.
- Coordinates annual patient safety week events/fair and associated communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Care Related Field, Medical Informatics, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field; Master’s Degree highly desirable.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years combined experience in data/statistical analysis, patient safety, quality and/or operations improvement; Project Management experience highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality improvement principles and practices (i.e., rapid cycle improvement, Six Sigma, Lean, balanced scorecards, etc.), project management, patient safety concepts, data analysis, data management and statistical process control in healthcare.
- Proficient computer skills with extensive experience using various software application such as MS Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint; relational database structures and reporting software.
- Experience with clinical/healthcare software applications preferred; demonstrated knowledge and skills in statistical packages and concepts including control charts.
- High-level skill in the use of complex data in business/value development and the ability to analyze data and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects involving large volumes of data; ability to instruct others effectively; display, analyze, package and explain data to individuals with varied levels of understanding and abilities; and, experience with healthcare collaborative measures across a health system.
- Strong strategic analytical skills for data, product line and continuum of care analysis.
- Excellent oral, written, “platform" and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work independently.
- High degree of creativity in problem-solving.
Required Licensure, Certification and Registrations:
- Six Sigma, Lean, CPHQ certification desired