Community Engagement Specialist
Sinai has an exciting opportunity to join our family as a Community Engagement Specialist. The Community Engagement Specialist (CES) works to educate and motivate individuals to appropriately enroll as new participants in Medicaid, Tax Credit, or State Marketplace insurance plans under the Affordable Care Act. Responsible for effective community member engagement and education at multiple location and venue types each day, distributing education and marketing materials, setting up and taking down events, and assisting consumers with their health insurance plan and health care provider selections and answering questions. They will serve as a resource to enhance customer’s knowledge of Sinai Health System. Provide education focusing on identifying and assisting existing and new customers in choosing Sinai Health System as their healthcare provider. This position will work mainly in communities in South and West sides of Chicago, depending on assigned areas. Hires will receive on-the-job training. Has the ability to accurately and quickly enter data into a desktop personal computer or tablet. Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred. Must be able to work flexible hours, including frequent evening and weekend schedules. Valid Illinois Drivers License is required and the ability to use a personal car for work-related travel is preferred (with employer mileage reimbursement).
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Utilizing both training and interpersonal skills, engage consumers at assigned locations or events in a dialogue about their healthcare insurance coverage needs and options under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Educate consumers on the range of potential options which meet their defined health insurance needs, such as maintaining an existing relationship with a specific primary care physician or healthcare provider organization.
- Work with consumers to educate them on their eligibility status for new insurance plans and help motivate them to promptly enroll in plans that best meet their stated needs for themselves and eligible family members. Appropriately refer clients to needed enrollment assistant and/or healthcare resources within Sinai Health System.
- Distribute educational and/or marketing materials on health insurance coverage options and physician selection options for each health insurance plan or plan type.
- Complete accurate daily and/or weekly activity logs/reports and submit to Director.
- Refer individuals in need of direct health insurance enrollment assistance to the In-Person Counselor Program or CMS Navigator program operated through Sinai Community Institute. Communicate promptly to the Director any observed barriers/obstacles to completion of timely and efficient ACA health plan enrollment referrals.
- Help establish, maintain and strengthen linkages with community organizations and agencies serving as partners working toward consumer education, motivation and enrollment in Medicaid and the Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace.
- High School Degree or GED. Some college is preferred but not required
- 1-3 years of similar/applicable experience
- 1-3 years of work experience, in health, sales, customer relations, social/human service or community-based setting preferred
- Candidate must be a self-starter, willing and eager to learn and must possess the ability to work independently and have very good follow-up skills; Active team skills and desire to work as part of a health care delivery team taking direction from multiple senior members, sometime simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of customers in a diverse environment
- Ability to learn about a variety of health conditions and disease states and possess the ability to employ teach back methods to patients
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must possess good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills; must be willing to ask questions and demonstrate a level of maturity and integrity in their job duties
- Hours are flexible but will include some evening and weekend hours scheduled in advance; must be reliable, punctual and accountable
- Ability to talk to small and medium size groups (roughly 5-50 people) to provide health education and support
- Ability to travel within the city to provide education and willingness to provide education, check-ins and follow-up in patient’s homes which at times may be unfamiliar environments
- Must be able to represent Sinai Health System in a professional manner at health fairs and other community events; willingness to share new ideas about expanding Sinai’s presence in the community
- Good data collection abilities
- Gain CAC (Certified Application Counselor)
- Demonstrate professionalism in appearance and attitud
- Requires basic level math skills
- Requires basic working knowledge of specified PC applications, software and database management (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish Preferred
Current State of Illinois Driver's License.
$13.56/hr - $16.95/hr (dependent on previous applicable experience), mileage reimbursement at .56 cents per mile for required travel.
Special Instructions on how to apply:
To apply for this position please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Community Engagement Specialist" in the subject line. You may also fax your resume to (773)257-6290 attention Samantha. Applications can also be obtained in person at 15th and California from the Human Resources department Monday - Friday from 7am - 5pm.